Thu 8 Jun, 2023
Prescot’s Elizabethan Fayre returns this Saturday 10th June to celebrate the town’s Elizabethan heritage and its renaissance, all with a contemporary twist.
The FREE fayre is a popular date in Knowsley’s events calendar and there will be plenty for everyone to enjoy. It will be a fun-filled day packed with theatre and dance performances, circus skills, craft workshops, music, heritage walks, artisan stalls and more.
Visitors can also experience a piece of Tudor history, with candle making, musical minstrels, archery and soldier school. There might even be an appearance from Queen Elizabeth I herself!
The full programme is available here.
Prescot’s history is quite remarkable – in Elizabethan times it was the only place in the whole of the country, aside from London, to have a free-standing purpose-built theatre. Today it is home to Shakespeare North Playhouse, a new theatre and cultural venue in the heart of the town inspired by William Shakespeare and his love of storytelling.
Cllr Tony Brennan, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development said:
“Prescot’s Elizabethan Fayre is a wonderful way to celebrate the unique history of the town and for everyone to get involved in celebrating that history. The Prescot Cultural Consortium have created a programme of unique performances, activities and crafts for everyone to enjoy. Prescot town centre is also home to plenty of lovely shops, cafes, bars and restaurants, so visitors can spend the full day experiencing everything that the town has to offer.”
Siobhan Noble, Senior Producer at Shakespeare North Playhouse and Chair of the Prescot Cultural Consortium, commented:
“The Elizabethan Fayre is a fantastic event for Prescot and Knowsley, it’s a chance for communities to come together and celebrate the rich heritage of the town. This year’s Fayre will be jam packed with things to do and guarantees a great time for all ages. This is not to be missed.”
Where and when
Prescot Town Centre
Saturday 10 June 11am – 5pm
- Help make the Prescot Bird with Arts Groupie. This creatures feathers will be composed literally of your memories, photographs and stories about the local area. This activity is taking place in the Exhibition area at Shakespeare North Playhouse.
- Get Sketchy with Illustrator Gill Smith and have your portrait drawn as an Elizabethan!
- Join the Prescot Community Curators for clay making and weaving.
- Take part in a Guided Heritage Walking Tour and learn more about Prescot’s history.
- Free Face Painting
- Jesters from Fools Rush In will treat visitors to a circus act show and some have-a-go fun!
- Will you be able to spot the Eliza-BEE-than guests as The Waggle Bees buzz around Prescot?
- Bring the Fire will help open the Fayre with their spin on an Elizabethan fire act!
- Altered Scale Theatre will be performing Captain Parrot and His Ship of Stories, a wonderful family show with interaction and games.
- Petite Ullaloom will treat visitors with the Dead Average Poet’s Society and Arts Groupie with their Elizabethan Actors Corner. They will lead people on little walking tours of the area, showing off the heritage treasures of the back streets and encouraging storytelling, fable creation and fun!
- The Rubbish Shakespeare Company is visiting Shakespeare North Playhouse with their version of Midsummer Nights Dream. You can buy tickets here.
- Imaginarium Theatre’s Fools and Fairies Parade will go down Eccleston St at 1.30pm and finish outside Deanes House. There will also be a preview from Imaginarium Theatre’s upcoming performance of Taming of the Shrew.
- Prescot Parish Church will offer children’s treasure hunts, a heritage tour and performances from Liverpool Chamber Choir in addition to being a space for quiet, reflection or prayer.
Grab a bite to eat or a refreshing drink
Don’t forget, Prescot has a fabulous array of shops, bars and eateries that can be found on Eccleston St, Leyland St, Market Place and Aspinal St.
The Artisan Market on Eccleston Street will include:
- Ian Chantler Photography images of landscapes, nature and more
- The Gluten Free Pie Company multi-award winning bakers use
- The Taylor’d Candle Co stylish, small batch, handmade candles, wax melts, reed diffusers and car diffusers
- Project Divine designed and created pyjamas, cups, bags and caps
- Johnsons Jewellery vintage jewellery and crystals
- Bayt Al Tamr “House Of Dates” creates delicious handcrafted Middle Eastern delicacies Steven Walsh Illustrations creates original prints with a mission of raising awareness of mental health including pieces exclusively designed for the Prescot Elizabethan Fayre
- The Wood Wax Company hand poured 100% soy wax melts alongside a selection of other handmade fragrance products
- Windsor’s Fruit Liqueurs award-winning, hand-crafted liqueurs using a traditional infusion method
- Mushypeadesign range of hand etched acrylic jewellery and greetings cards
- Laura-Kate Draws illustrator and print-maker obsessed with colour and pattern
- Janice’s Craft Store personalised keepsakes, cards, keyrings, sweet cones.
- Prescot Music and Arts Festival
- Prescot Town Council
- Friends of Eaton Street Park
- Prescot Mission Christmas Group
A full programme with times for events and activities is available on www.cultureknowsley.co.uk.
You can also follow CultureKnowsley on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates.